Throughout Country School’s history, the community has supported several capital improvement plans to enable the school to grow and meet the changing needs of its students. The most recent long-range plan was developed by a Master Planning Task Force comprised of faculty, administrators, trustees and parents. Their charge was to holistically examine how the school can best support existing and future programs and have the greatest positive impact on the complete education of our students.

We recently opened our new Athletics & Wellness Center. Learn more about this exciting project.

Early community-wide support of our Boldly Forward Capital Campaign allowed the school to open the Susan Haigh Carver ‘51 Dining Hall & Commons, and that same level of strong support has been a significant driving force behind the construction and completion of our new Athletics & Wellness Center. To date, more than 100 Country School parents, alumni, parents of alumni and grandparents have contributed more than $17 million to support the Boldly Forward Campaign, and we are almost 70% of the way toward our $25 million goal - but we still need your help! 
 
Contributions to the Capital Campaign (which is separate from the school’s Annual Fund), come in the form of multi-year pledges as well as one-time gifts, and we are grateful for the community’s support at all levels. Gifts to the Campaign will directly support costs associated with the new Athletics & Wellness Center, and they will support the athletics, wellness, and physical education programs that will continue to grow and thrive within the new building. Campaign gifts can also help to support and strengthen the school's endowment.

Thank you to all those who have already made gifts and pledges to the Campaign! Your early support has made a real difference.

Campaign News

List of 2 news stories.

  • ‘Topping Off’ Ceremony Marks Progress on Athletics & Wellness Center

    Faculty, staff and students gathered on Nov. 26 as the last beam was laid into place during a “topping off” ceremony for the Athletics & Wellness Center. During the previous few days, students, faculty and staff had signed their names and written some inspirational messages on the beam. As is tradition in this ceremony, a school flag, an American flag and a small evergreen tree – symbolizing new growth – were attached to the final beam before it was raised. View photos.
    View a Drone Video of the Construction.
    Read More
  • Foundation Set, Steel Rising!

    Since we broke ground on our Athletics & Wellness Center last spring, we have made significant progress. Construction crews have cleared the site, laid the concrete foundation, installed underground plumbing, and currently, they are erecting the steel structure.
    Read More
Archive

History of the Campus

List of 6 frequently asked questions.

  • 1936   Grace House in the Fields  

    In1936, in an effort to expand and offer a more comprehensive program including athletics, the Community School purchased these buildings and 150 acres of land on Ponus Ridge and incorporated as New Canaan Country School.
  • 1940   Upper School

    One goal for the move to Ponus Ridge was to attract older students in grades 7-9. Under Henry Welles’s leadership in 1940 the school restructured into our more familiar divisional structure and built this Upper School building for grades 7-9.
  • 1955   Middle School Assembly Hall

    In 1953, developing programs and increased enrollment initiated a directive from the Trustee Planning Committee for a “superlatively good school."  The plan called for this building, to house an Auditorium, music and art studios and classrooms for grades 4,5 and 6. 
  • 1968   Welles Building

    Through the early 1960’s grades 1 – 4 were housed in 3 separate buildings. Late in 1966, The Long Range Planning Committee of the Board identified several key priorities including the need for a centralized Lower School building. 
  • 2002   Thacher Building

    In the spring of 2000, the Long- Range Plan articulated to parents by the Board President at an NCCS “Town Meeting," included building an early childhood building to free up overcrowded space in the Welles Building and reduce class size in grades K – 4 by moving from 2 to 3 sections in each grade level. 
  • 2010   Stevens Building

    The 2005 Plan to Enhance Program and Facilities included renovation and expansion of the Upper School facilities to achieve consolidated art and science classrooms, enhanced social and common space and, as a result, derivative benefits to the Middle School Building.

For more information

Please contact:
Ryan Smith 
Senior Director of Advancement 
(203) 801-5633