New Canaan Country School, an independent, co-educational day school for students in Beginners (age 3) through Grade 9 in New Canaan, Connecticut, seeks a talented individual with managerial, working supervisory and strong building controls background to serve as the school’s Facilities Supervisor. This full-time, 12-month position will report to the CFO and be responsible for overseeing the New Canaan Country School campus facilities and the facilities service teams.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and day to day guidance of service operations including the day-to-day operational oversight of skilled trades, custodial services, landscaping, pest control, storm response operations, preventative maintenance, utilities and energy management, mail services, vehicle maintenance, and other mechanized equipment.
- Support the CFO to carry out capital project tasks in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Assist in the development of Requests for Proposals; review and compare contractor proposals and recommend project awards to the CFO. Oversee contractors to ensure regulatory compliance and that all work is done to NCCS standards.
- Assist with budgets, maintenance, utilities and other operating reports. Evaluate and summarize operations and maintenance costs on a regular basis.
- Encourage and facilitate the participation of team in professional development programs and opportunities to increase skills, knowledge bases, and competencies.
- Coordinate activities with the Campus Safety Director to minimize health, safety or security issues across the Campus.
- Demonstrate the following traits:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Tact, diplomacy, and the ability to collaborate widely with various groups in the school community
- Strong work ethic
- Good communicator, facilitator and motivator
- Experience working within established budgets
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Mastery of scheduling and prioritizing workflow
- Strong understanding of how to deliver outstanding customer service
- Perform other management duties as requested by the School.
Working Supervisor Functions
Building Control and Technical Functions
- Supervise, prioritize, and schedule the work of tradesmen within both daily and longer term work plans and in a variety of task areas (skilled work, landscape, disaster and storm response, custodial service, utilities and energy management, vehicle maintenance, mail services, storage, event support, building security, etc.).
- Ensure that workers have the tools, supplies and training needed to carry out their work efficiently.
- Follow preventative maintenance schedules; attend to unscheduled maintenance and repair requirements; ensure that the work request system is being utilized properly; assign work; and train employees.
- Ensure that all work assignments are completed in a timely manner including repairs, preventive maintenance, and new work requests. Should work assignments routinely remain incomplete, establish and execute disciplinary protocols.
- Regularly inspect buildings, mechanical areas and grounds to ensure they are in keeping with NCCS maintenance standards and life safety requirements.
- Frequently move equipment and tools up to 50 lbs for various classroom and event needs; work alongside facilities team members as circumstances and deadlines may require.
- Be available on call 24/7 for emergencies and special events; be able to work days, nights, weekends and holidays as responsibilities require.
- Serve as a member of the crisis response team.
- Perform other supervisory duties as needed.
Education, Experience and Training
- Demonstrate expertise to troubleshoot building management and lighting control systems; have broad technical understanding of electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, lighting, keying systems, roofing and building trades, landscaping, green cleaning, asbestos and lead management, integrated pest management.
- Demonstrate experience with energy management; have sophisticated understanding of sustainable energy; have ability to show users how to use those systems; have knowledge of how to improve the customer experience, improve indoor air quality, reduce energy consumption, and save money.
- Possess familiarity with building safety codes, energy codes, regulatory requirements and Safe School requirements that pertain to NCCS.
- Perform other work duties as needed.
A Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering, Facilities Management or related discipline is desired.
Additionally, the following trainings and certifications are also preferred:
- Asbestos training
- Certified Facility Manager (IFMA) or Facility Management Professional (IFMA)
- Certified Energy Manager (AEE)
Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, the BMS monitoring and Work Request tracking and reporting is required.
Qualified candidates will possess a minimum of five (5) years of facilities supervisory experience with focused experience on customer service.
Recruitment is being managed by The Stone House Group who will be the sole point of contact for the application process.
Apply by sending a letter of interest, current resume and salary requirement to Theresa Duncan, email@example.com. (No telephone inquiries please).